Tuesday 1 May 2012

The art of letting go...

Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened. — Dr Seuss
Celebrate endings – for they precede new beginnings. — Jonathan Lockwood Huie        



Letting go...

I have ended with a client after 100h of working together... this is almost two in a half years with holidays and missing sessions... how do you let go of someone who you got to know and admire?
That have opened up to you all his secrets and fears, all the darkness and the light... hours of unique intimacy.
How do you say goodbye forever?
How do you set them free? Free from the dependence on the relationship, the comfort of the support and the feeling of unconditional love and full acceptance? How indeed?

With a smile and the knowing that is the right thing, that they are ready! But with the pain and the grief that lost brings...
I am here in the awareness of my need for grief.

I feel like the mother who is so proud of the now-adult child telling them he is moving out of mothers nest. And I am fine with it, at no point would I be tempted to change his conclusion for I can see he is a grown man.

He has learned well. It has been a hard journey and at times we have disappointed each other and I have failed him with no intention. He felt let down by me and there were set backs, but we talked and reaccessed the relationship and he realised I never said I was perfect that I would not do mistakes. I could only be good enough and doing so has built his self esteem and self belief and he got tired and fed up of just being... one day he decided to live!

That is and always will be the beauty of Therapy. The beginning, the vision, the journey, the setbacks and the struggle,  the times of no change, the full acceptance of what 'is', the relationship, the trust, the learning and experiencing the new life tools, the self-discovery, the letting go and getting to know who you really are, what made you this unique being, the self-acceptance and the self-love, the becoming of a full being... the conclusion that is only a new beginning for this now more free wonderful human.

I am inside smiling and crying at the same time, the balance of darkness and light, sadness and hope.
I know it is ok and I know all is well. I am proud of the strength and the courage we can have to face our own demons and stand up one day and start living. That is what my work is about and that is the light I believe is there always when I start with someone new or when we get to those heavy points where the mud is thick and sticky and you feel you can't get out of it. I believe we all can but not with struggle, but instead with the calmness of accepting what is, what is for now.

Because the truth is all will pass... :) x


 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, profound... stunning post! I love yout blog. Thank you for sharing!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) thank you so much for the comment, it means a lot to me knowing that. Keep coming back ;) and tell your friends! Love and Light to you xxxx

    ReplyDelete