Thursday 17 January 2013

Let's accept Mental Heath as part of our life experience

Mental Health, and the stigma attached to it, is still something that amazes, shocks and annoys me.

On the one hand, we have people who don't want to be associated with mental health problems and on the other those who have been and are now somehow almost proud that they have a label.

I find our society a structure of extremes when in fact all we need, as with everything in life, is to find the middle ground. A balance. Not the 'all' or the 'nothing'; not the 8 or the 80. We need simply to be a '40-ish' for that is cool and comfortable and healthy.

It's ok to eat the cake - just don't eat 10 of them. It's ok to have a drink - just don't overdo it...
We don't need to be perfect! We just need to be good enough - whether as a friend, a partner or a parent! In anything in life, all we really need is to find that comfortable zone, where one just 'is'. With awareness of the self and with the consciousness of our choices and actions and instincts and behaviours.

But do we see it like that? No! Does anyone tell us that? No! Simple common sense is not used any longer. We grow up beating ourselves up over our own perspective on the expectations of others. But look at this closely! Perspective. Our own perspective. That does not mean it is the reality or the truth intended.

'Reality' is not a reality at all. It is simply our view, our unique perspective, our choice of understanding what is (or was). The mind plays games, creates illusions and is - I would go so as far as calling it - a liar. Yes, the mind is most of the time a 'liar'. OK, I said it! And what do we do? We spend hours and hours, days and days, years and years paying attention to what is going on in our minds.

The memories that may already be distorted, the thoughts that don't mean anything, the illusions of things that don't exist... Every time we wonder why someone looked at us, for example, what are we doing? We creating an illusion! We don't know why they are looking at us in that way. In fact, they might not even be looking at us at all! So whatever we create in our mind is our own creation! Therefore it is a 'lie'. It's not based in any fact or reason, except possibly our interpretation of some similar experience.

Where am I going with this? I simply want to make a point here that 'Mental Health' issues are real like colds are real and cancer is real. We all have them or have had some symptoms of them. It is normal. It is not strange or wrong! And it doesn't need, always, a label either.

Ok, maybe the label can help some doctor to know the type of cold virus they are dealing with so they find the right drug for it, or the type of cancer so we get the drugs that work for it. But these labels are for a specific purpose. We, as ordinary people, don't necessarily always need them. And I think labels can create the illusion in some cases that it is outside our control to get better (of course I know this is not all, and in some cases, the diagnose is extremely helpful). "I have a tumour! I can't do anything about it! Is not my fault or choice to have it. I need an external person to help me! To operate, to give me the drug to fix it!"

But I tell you that you have a choice. You have more control over it than you even know or understand.

That is where knowing ourselves come about. We need to know who we are and what we are about to have control over our choices. As long as we don't have the knowledge, understanding and consciousness of who and how we are, we will always blame - and expect others to take control for us.

This what I offer in my practice, a safe place for you to find and get to know who you are. You need to be ready for this and really want to do it. You will need to be truthful to yourself by being truthful to me. And with me, we will walk the walk of discovery, freedom, health, peace and fulfilment.

Find me, and more about what I offer, here: www.knowingyourself.co.uk







No comments:

Post a Comment